SUMMER CAMP JOBS FOR TEENS & COLLEGE STUDENTSat Deer Run Camps & Retreats
SUMMER CAMP JOB: Camp Staff
A paid ministry opportunity for Christian college students, ages 18 to 25
Being on Summer Camp Staff at Deer Run as a summer camp counselor is a unique opportunity to teach, encourage, mentor, guide, and lead children and youth through week-long camp experiences. If you choose Deer Run as your place of ministry for the summer, you have the ability to positively affect the lives of kids, preteens, and youth for the Kingdom of God. You also gain incredible life experience, and many camp staff develop life-long friendships with other staffers.
We offer bonuses as a recruiting incentive. Invite your friends to serve on staff with you!
WHAT ARE DEER RUN CHRISTIAN CAMPS?
Exciting summer day, overnight, and family camps which take place at Deer Run Camps & Retreats located 35 miles south of Nashville, Tennessee.
All camps include worship, Bible study, relationship building, recreation, and opportunities to disciple campers of all ages.
Additionally, Deer Run hosts church groups for camps and retreats throughout the summer. Summer staff provide support for these camps and retreats in areas of recreation and food service.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE ON CAMP STAFF?
Camp Staff are Christian college-age students who:
- stay in cabins with the campers some weeks and in staff housing some weeks
- have approximately 32 hours off each week at the end of our program camp
- serve elementary, middle school and high school students in various ways and invest themselves in the children and students
- create an exciting, engaging environment for God to speak to each camper
- loving and teaching campers plus sharing Christ with them along the way
- are able to disconnect from all distractions by turning in phones weekly — Electronic devices are available to summer staff only during scheduled “off” time.
- are committed to the overall success of the camp program by working alongside other staff members to create a fantastic experience for the campers
Every part of Deer Run Christian Camps should be enjoyable for each camper, but THE MAIN FOCUS IS CREATING AN EXCELLENT CAMP EXPERIENCE FOR ALL WHO ATTEND TO EXPERIENCE GOD. That often means camp staff will make sacrifices of their time and sleep to make sure the camps are the best they can be and that the campers have a great experience. This requires a high level of commitment but yields immeasurable eternal benefits.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF CAMP STAFF?
Some of the following are individual assignments based on interest and skills.
- PRAY: Consistent prayer for individual campers, speakers, worship leaders, staff, and for God to change lives.
- LIFEGUARD: Serve in the lifeguard rotation when scheduled during specific camps.
- ONE-ON-ONE MINISTRY: Most personal ministry opportunities fall into one of two categories… a) Opportunities to share Jesus Christ with campers and guide them through a salvation experience or lead them to a deeper commitment to Christ or b) Opportunities to listen, encourage, affirm, and respond to God’s leading as you meet campers at their specific point of need.
- RECREATION: Receive training and assist in adventure recreation, organized games, water sports, and various other recreation activities as assigned.
- ADMINISTRATION: Help with administrative duties at camp such as camper check-in and organizing supplies.
- CAMP CLEAN UP: Work with Deer Run staff to continually keep the camp clean. Help clean the camp facilities and grounds including staff cabins before being released for weekend time off.
- SOUND/AUDIO-VISUAL: Help with sound checks and set up stage lighting. Run sound and ProPresenter for worship.
- BIBLE STUDY LEADERS: Prepare lessons and teach God’s Word to an assigned group of campers. Themed lessons are presented, then creatively developed during training week using resources provided by Deer Run.
- WORSHIP: Lead and participate in worship in a variety of ways. Demonstrate an attitude of worship throughout the day while leading campers in daily activities.
WHAT KINDS OF CAMPS ARE AT DEER RUN?
for campers age 5 through completed 6th grade
Campers arrive each morning and leave every afternoon, Monday–Friday. Staffers are responsible for leading their assigned campers through an entire day of activities. At night, day camp staffers will join overnight camp as a co-leader or be given other responsibilities.
1-WEEK OVERNIGHT CAMPS
for campers who have completed grades 3 to 10
Campers arrive Sunday afternoon and leave Friday afternoon. Staffers are responsible for 6-8 campers as they live life together the whole week. This camp involves extra activities other than those in day camp such as paintball, archery and BBs, zip lines, giant swing, archery tag, climbing tower, and various other activities.
2-WEEK OVERNIGHT CAMPS
for campers who have completed grades 6 to 10
Similar to 1-week overnight camp except the campers stay at camp for 12 consecutive nights with the same camp staffer for the whole duration. During the weekend, Deer Run provides activities both on and off camp property for campers and their camp staffer to experience together.
CAMP DEER RUN
This mission camp occurs one week out of the summer.
Deer Run partners with a ministry called ASC (A Soldier’s Child) to provide an overnight camp experience for children who have lost one or both of their parents through active military duty. To find out more ASC, visit https://asoldierschild.org/
for all ages
Families arrive Saturday morning and leave Monday afternoon. Staffers assist families with luggage, taking care of children, and are available to help as needed throughout the camp.
WHAT ARE THE DATES OF SERVICE & TRAINING?
ALL STAFF MUST ATTEND TEAM TRAINING FOR THE FULL 11 DAYS, then you will either work the whole summer or the session you sign up for.
2021 Team Training for ALL Camp Staff: May 19-29
FULL SUMMER Work Dates: May 30 through July 31
SESSION 1 Work Dates: May 30 through July 3
SESSION 2 Work Dates: June 26 through July 31
Do I have to commit for the entire summer?
No, you do not have to commit to the entire summer, but we do prefer to have camp staff commit to at least 4 weeks for the summer.
We are flexible with needed time off. Our Camps & Rec Directors can discuss this in more detail with you.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS for being on camp staff?
- be available for Team Training May 19–29 AND for your respective summer session.
- have a heart for ministry and a desire to be a servant leader
- provide 3 references regarding your Christian walk, character, and work ethic
- raise prayer support
- be willing to work hard with a positive attitude and sometimes with limited rest
- MUST OBTAIN A PHYSICAL EXAM NO MORE THAN 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO TEAM TRAINING and bring a report from the exam to Team Training
WHAT IS CAMP STAFF TEAM TRAINING?
It is important that camp staff arrive at Camp Staff Team Training ready to learn and work hard. Camp Staff Team Training is a time for the camp staff and the leadership team to . . .
- get to know each other and build lifelong relationships
- work on Bible study, evangelism, and counseling training
- learn about the philosophy of Deer Run Christian Camps
- receive job assignments and adventure recreation training
- become familiar with the facilities at Deer Run
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
After praying about this exciting opportunity, if you believe the Lord is confirming that you become a camp staffer at Deer Run Christian Camps, follow the instructions below. THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF CAMP STAFF POSITIONS AVAILABLE. If you feel called to this type of ministry experience, do not hesitate to get your application submitted.
Complete the online application: https://register.circuitree.com/ deerrun/HR/Application/15?invite=sumstaff21 [or https://bit.ly/2o6rIBs]. All information submitted by applicants and personal references will be held in the strictest confidence and only read by those directly involved in camp staff selection.
The deadline for receipt of applications and reference forms is May 1, 2021. Apply as soon as possible. Applications are reviewed by our camp staff leadership and decisions are made within two weeks of your interview.
To check on the status of your personal references, call Josh Barrera (615.484.5370) or Brianna Corr (931.334.6655) or email us at CampStaff@DeerRun.camp.
A personal interview will be scheduled if Deer Run staff visit your school or if you are local to our location. Otherwise, an interview will be scheduled via phone, Facetime, Google Duo, or Skype.
Background checks are completed on all applicants who are chosen to be on camp staff.
What is the pay rate for working on camp staff?
Deer Run pays camp staff a comparable rate to the industry standard for camp summer staff. We are happy to discuss the pay rate with you!
WHAT ABOUT TRAVEL EXPENSES TO GET TO CAMP?
Travel to and from Deer Run is the camp staff’s financial responsibility.
If you travel by plane, Deer Run staff will pick you up at the Nashville International Airport (BNA) when you arrive to begin your camp staff position and will take you back to the airport for departure when your session is completed. In-bound flights should arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. (CST) for Team Training on May 19, 2021. Out-bound flights depend on your session.
YEAR-ROUND CAMP JOBS
FULL-TIME and PART-TIME CAMP STAFF
We believe in serving God with the gifts and personalities He has given each of us individually and in doing our work unto Him. We believe in serving our guests and campers with excellence and in being stewards of all the resources given to us.
If you feel God is leading you to use your gifts to serve in a ministry, Deer Run invites you to look at our mission and vision and determine if you would like to be a part of impacting lives of others through summer camps, family events and retreats for churches, nonprofits, schools and community groups.
OUR MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES
To provide excellent camps and retreats that inspire a transformational relationship with Jesus Christ and strengthen relationships with family and friends.
To transform as many lives as possible for Christ through the growth of staff, facilities, and programs.
The Deer Run Way is to serve the Lord with integrity, stewardship, servanthood, excellence, and community.
Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB — Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ.