SUMMER CAMP & Year-round JOBSat Deer Run Camps & Retreats
SUMMER CAMP JOB: Camp Staff
A paid Christian ministry opportunity to serve as a camp counselor for our summer camp programs!
Being on Summer Camp Staff at Deer Run is a unique opportunity to teach, encourage, mentor, guide, and lead children and youth through week-long camp experiences. If you choose Deer Run as your place of ministry for the summer, you have the ability to positively affect the lives of kids, preteens, and youth for the Kingdom of God. You also gain incredible life experience, and many Camp Staff develop life-long friendships with other staffers.
We offer bonuses as a recruiting incentive. Invite your friends to serve on staff with you!
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
First, pray about this exciting opportunity. Then if you believe the Lord is confirming that you become a camp staffer at Deer Run Christian Camps, follow the instructions below. Do not hesitate to get your application submitted. THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF CAMP STAFF POSITIONS AVAILABLE.
Complete the online application by clicking on the application button above. The deadline for receipt of applications and reference forms is May 1, 2022.
All information submitted by applicants and personal references are held in the strictest confidence and only read by those directly involved in camp staff selection.
A personal interview will be scheduled if Deer Run staff visit your school or if you are local to our location. Otherwise an interview will be scheduled via phone, Facetime, Google Duo, or Skype. A decision is made within two weeks of your interview.
Background checks are completed on all applicants who are chosen to be on camp staff.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE ON CAMP STAFF?
Being on Camp Staff means you:
- serve elementary, middle school, and high school students in various ways and invest in them
- create an exciting, engaging environment for God to speak to each camper
- are loving towards campers plus share Christ with them along the way
- are committed to the overall success of the camp program by working alongside other staff members to create a fantastic experience for the campers
- stay in cabins with the campers some weeks and in staff housing some weeks
- have approximately 32 hours off each week at the end of our program camp
- are able to disconnect from all distractions by turning in phones weekly (Electronic devices are available to Camp Staff only during scheduled “off” time.)
Every part of Deer Run Christian Camps should be enjoyable for each camper, but THE MAIN FOCUS IS CREATING AN EXCELLENT CAMP EXPERIENCE FOR ALL WHO ATTEND TO EXPERIENCE GOD. That often means Camp Staff make sacrifices of their time and sleep to make sure the camps are the best they can be and that the campers have a great experience. This requires a high level of commitment but yields immeasurable eternal benefits.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS for being on camp staff?
- be available for Team Training May 19–28 AND for your respective summer session
- have a heart for ministry and a desire to be a servant leader
- provide 3 references regarding your Christian walk, character, and work ethic
- raise prayer support
- be willing to work hard with a positive attitude and sometimes with limited rest
- MUST OBTAIN A PHYSICAL EXAM NO MORE THAN 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO TEAM TRAINING and bring a report from the exam to Team Training
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF CAMP STAFF?
Some of the following are individual assignments based on interest and skills.
- PRAY: Consistent prayer for individual campers, speakers, worship leaders, staff, and for God to change lives.
- LIFEGUARD: Serve in the lifeguard rotation when scheduled during specific camps.
- ONE-ON-ONE MINISTRY: Most personal ministry opportunities fall into one of two categories… a) Opportunities to share Jesus Christ with campers and guide them through a salvation experience or lead them to a deeper commitment to Christ or b) Opportunities to listen, encourage, affirm, and respond to God’s leading as you meet campers at their specific point of need.
- RECREATION: Receive training and assist in adventure recreation, organized games, water sports, and various other recreation activities as assigned.
- ADMINISTRATION: Help with administrative duties at camp such as camper check-in and organizing supplies.
- CAMP CLEAN UP: Work with Deer Run staff to continually keep the camp clean. Help clean the camp facilities and grounds including staff cabins before being released for weekend time off.
- SOUND/AUDIO-VISUAL: Help with sound checks and set up stage lighting. Run sound and ProPresenter for worship.
- BIBLE STUDY LEADERS: Prepare lessons and teach God’s Word to an assigned group of campers. Themed lessons are presented, then creatively developed during training week using resources provided by Deer Run.
- WORSHIP: Lead and participate in worship in a variety of ways. Demonstrate an attitude of worship throughout the day while leading campers in daily activities.
- PROGRAMMING: Help lead and guide campers through a series of skits throughout the camp week.
WHAT ARE THE DATES for TRAINING & Service?
CAMP STAFF LEADERSHIP RETREAT & TRAINING
Leadership Retreat: March 25-27
Leadership Training: May 16-18
All Camp Staff MUST attend all 10 days of the 2022 Team Training, May 19-28.
It is important that camp staff arrive at Camp Staff Team Training ready to learn and work hard.
Team Training is a time for the camp staff and the leadership team to . . .
- get to know each other and build lifelong relationships
- work on Bible study, evangelism, and counseling training
- learn about the philosophy of Deer Run Christian Camps
- receive job assignments and adventure recreation training
- become familiar with the facilities at Deer Run
You can choose to work the Full Summer.
OR choose to work Session 1 or Session 2.
- FULL SUMMER Work Dates: May 30 through July 29
- SESSION 1 Work Dates: May 30 through July 2
- SESSION 2 Work Dates: June 26 through July 29
Do I need to commit for the entire summer?
No, but we do prefer to have camp staff commit to at least 4 weeks for the summer.
We are flexible with needed time off. Our Camp Directors can discuss this in more detail with you during your interview.
- Time off should be communicated clearly to the Camp Directors as soon as possible.
- Extended time off for vacations, missions trips, etc. should be communicated and are approved prior to Camp Staff Team Training which is May 19.
- Approval for time off that is requested after Camp Staff Team Training is up to the discretion of the Camp Directors.
WHAT KINDS OF CAMPS ARE AT DEER RUN?
Exciting summer Day, Overnight, and Family Camps take place at Deer Run. All camps include worship, Bible study, relationship building, recreation, and opportunities to disciple campers of all ages.
Additionally, Deer Run hosts church groups for camps and retreats year-round. During June and July, Camp Staff provide support for these group camps and retreats in areas of recreation and food service.
for campers age 5 through completed 6th grade
Campers arrive each morning and leave every afternoon, Monday–Friday. Staffers are responsible for leading their assigned campers through an entire day of activities. At night, day camp staffers will join overnight camp as a co-leader or be given other responsibilities.
1-WEEK OVERNIGHT CAMPS
for campers who have completed grades 3 to 10
Campers arrive Sunday afternoon and leave Friday afternoon. Staffers are responsible for 6-8 campers as they live life together the whole week. This camp involves extra activities other than those in day camp such as paintball, archery and BBs, zip lines, giant swing, archery tag, climbing tower, and various other activities.
2-WEEK OVERNIGHT CAMPS
for campers who have completed grades 6 to 10
Similar to 1-week overnight camp except campers are at camp 12 consecutive nights with the same camp staffer for the duration of the 2 weeks. During the weekend, Deer Run provides activities both on and off camp property for campers and their camp staffer to experience together.
for all ages
Families arrive Friday at 5p and leave Sunday at 2p. Staffers assist families with luggage, taking care of children, and are available to help as needed throughout the camp.
What is the pay rate for working on camp staff?
Deer Run pays camp staff a comparable rate to the industry standard for camp summer staff. We are happy to discuss the pay rate with you!
WHAT ABOUT TRAVEL EXPENSES TO GET TO CAMP?
Travel expenses to and from Deer Run is the Camp Staff’s financial responsibility.
If you travel by plane, Deer Run staff will pick you up at the Nashville International Airport (BNA) when you arrive to begin your camp staff position and will take you back to the airport for departure when your session is completed. In-bound flights should arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. (CST) for Team Training on May 19, 2022. Out-bound flights depend on your session.
SUMMER CAMP JOB: BUS DRIVERS
- 1 to 9 weeks during summer camps
- Monday-Friday, 6am-9am and 3pm-6pm (Hours can vary depending upon number of bus riders, but would be within these times.)
FULL-TIME and PART-TIME CAMP STAFF
We believe in serving God with the gifts and personalities He has given each of us individually and in doing our work unto Him. We believe in serving our guests and campers with excellence and in being stewards of all the resources given to us.
If you feel God is leading you to use your gifts to serve in a ministry, Deer Run invites you to look at our mission and vision and determine if you would like to be a part of impacting lives of others through summer camps, family events and retreats for churches, nonprofits, schools and community groups.
OUR MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES
To provide excellent camps and retreats that inspire a transformational relationship with Jesus Christ and strengthen relationships with family and friends.
To transform as many lives as possible for Christ through the growth of staff, facilities, and programs.
The Deer Run Way is to serve the Lord with integrity, stewardship, servanthood, excellence, and community.
Colossians 3:23-24, HCSB — Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ.